Food Standards Scotland is the ‘Data Controller’ of the personal information we collect from you or which is provided to us. This may include your name, email address, postal address and telephone number. We value any information that we collect and take your privacy seriously.
Why we need your personal information
As part of our role as a competent authority in Scotland. This may include (and is not limited to) policy consultations, food and feed regulation, food safety enforcement and legislation,
- in the performance of contract,
- to ensure compliance with a legal obligation, or
- on some occasions, we may ask for your explicit consent to process your personal data where the use of the data is optional.
What we do with it
We have put in place appropriate and adequate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information. All the personal data we process is located on servers within the United Kingdom. Our cloud based services have been procured through the government framework agreements and these services have been assessed against the national cyber security centre cloud security principles.
We want to assure you of the following factors we consider when collecting your personal information, we will:
- ensure that you know the reason why we need your personal information and why we are legally allowed to hold and process it
- only ask for what we need and will not collect too much information from you
- protect your information by making sure that nobody who should not have access to your information has access to it
- let you know if we are required by law to share your information with other organisations, and
- make sure we don’t keep your information longer than necessary.
What are your rights?
You have a right to see the information we hold on you by making a request in writing to email@example.com . If at any point you believe the information we process on you is incorrect you can request to have it corrected. If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org who will investigate the matter. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Cookies and website traffic analysis
There are cookies on this website to track how the site is used. You can choose which cookies you're happy for us to use by visiting our cookies page.
Eat Well, Your Way updates
Any personal data you provide when signing up for our email updates will only be used for that purpose. This information will not be passed to any third parties. Users can unsubscribe from this service at any time or update their preferences.
Notification of changes
Retention and disposal of information
FSS operates a Records Retention and Disposal Schedule to ensure that information is not kept for any longer than necessary in accordance with the principles of Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).